I started knitting last Monday evening. I did roughly 2 hours per night during the week and 4 hours yesterday and today - a total of 18 hours from start to finish. I finished on row 101 - I was tempted to make it slightly larger (maybe go to row 121) but to be honest I was getting a bit fed up by this time! There were approx. 500-odd stitches on the needles at this point and just knitting one round was taking forever! ;0)
At 11.45 a.m. today, I decided to call it a day and start on the border. This is how it looked as I started it -
I love the way the border turned out. It really fits in well with the overall design. Even though some knitters have dubbed this the "never-ending border", I must admit that I quite enjoyed the monotony of it. ;0) It was quite therapeutic - although it did take exactly 2 hours to knit. I finished at exactly 1.45 p.m..
After finishing the border, my Hemlock looked a bit of a blobby mess but I was quite confident that blocking would reveal a completely different piece of knitting.
Prior to blocking, I soaked the knitting in the sink for half an hour or so and then threw it in the washing maching for a quick spin. It was practically dry when it came out.
Half an hour later (and I lost count of how many pins!), this is what it looked like. I have to admit, I'm rather pleased with it. It measures about 40 inches in diameter. I would have liked it slightly larger but know I just didn't have the staying power for those last 20-odd rows! ;0)
And this is perfectly adequate as a lap blanket, which after all is its ultimate purpose.
I can see me knitting more of these, probably as gifts, as they're so quick and easy to make and yet look so effective when finished.